The History of St. Anthony Parish and School

Established in 1872

1872: St. Anthony Parish and School were established. They featured four classrooms where grades three and four were taught together. The School Sisters of Notre Dame managed the school.

1873: Mother Caroline purchased two lots on Fourth Avenue and constructed a home for the Sisters.

1882: St. Anthony Church was built, with an addition completed in 1889.

1895: 112 children received their First Holy Communion.

1906: The Sisters built a larger convent south of the church.

1907: The Parish Hall was constructed.

1920: The original school building was condemned, leading to the dedication of a new school by Archbishop Messmer.

1933: Enrollment reached 561 students. Due to overcrowding in first grade, the kindergarten program was discontinued.

1936: An Individual Progress Room was introduced to support students needing specialized attention and help them develop their talents.

1938: Fourteen Sisters taught at the school, and classrooms reached full capacity. Tuition was not required; enrollment was open to parish members.

1941: Two St. Anthony students entered the seminary.

1945: A new lunchroom opened, and students celebrated with cookies and soda.

1946: Forty-nine students graduated, with thirty continuing their education at Catholic high schools supported by the Education Fund. One graduate joined the Oblate Fathers, and five men from St. Anthony began studies for the priesthood.

1958: Following a fire at Holy Angels School in Chicago, fire safety inspections intensified, improving the school building.

1963: Bishop Jerome Hastrich, a former student of St. Anthony Parish, administered Confirmation and blessed the Sisters.

1965: The student body became more diverse, though enrollment declined to 342. The School Sisters of Notre Dame transitioned out, and Sisters from the Sisters of St. Francis, Dominican Sisters, and Sisters of St. Joseph began serving the school.

1975: As demographics shifted, Vietnamese and Hispanic families became the dominant groups in the parish. Vietnamese nuns began teaching students of Vietnamese descent.

1984: Under Pastor Dulek's and Principal Mason's leadership, administrative and curriculum enhancements were made. A kindergarten program for four- and five-year-olds was introduced, reflecting the parish’s growing diversity, which now included Hispanic, Puerto Rican, Vietnamese, and African American families.

1992: Enrollment increased as new educational opportunities were introduced through the PAVE Program.

1998: The Wisconsin Supreme Court became the first state high court to approve religious schools’ participation in a publicly funded voucher program.

2004: The Reading First Grant introduced a direct instruction program. That same year, the faculty adopted the Core Knowledge Curriculum, emphasizing science, history, and literature.

2009: Due to rising enrollment, the fourth grade was relocated to Maria Hall. St. Anthony High School was also established at Christ King Hall.

2012: St. Anthony High School moved to its current location, serving approximately 340 students.

2013: St. Anthony Preschool and Daycare opened, earning a Five-Star YoungStar rating.

2016: Enrollment neared 2,000 students, spanning Pre-K through 12th grade across five campuses.

2019: St. Anthony High School celebrated its 10th anniversary.

2022: St. Anthony High School was renovated to accommodate the newly established St. Anthony Middle School. That same year, the parish and school celebrated their 150th anniversary, and the Viterbo Dual Certification Program was launched, allowing high school students to earn Associate of Science in Education (ASE) degrees.

2023: A Dual Language Program was introduced at the K4 level.

2024: The Dual Language Program expanded to K5.